Thoughts of a newbie road cyclist

IMG_9147

As someone who is still very much new to cycling I think it’s pretty safe to say that I experience quite a few different emotions on a bike ride (Matt would definitely agree anyways) so here are the thoughts of a newbie road cyclist…..

8AM – This is way too early for the weekend.

8:30AM – Coco Pops is a nutritional breakfast right?

9AM – Ok LETS DO THIS.

9:30AM – Mannn my legs hurt already.

9:45AM – Omg can we go home? I can’t do this!

10:15AM – Ok I’m kinda getting better…

10:30AM – Maybe I was being a tad overdramatic earlier….?

10:45AM – When’s cake?

11AM – THANK GOD it’s time for cake.

11:05AM – Lemon Cake or Flapjack? ARGH. Decisions.

11:10AM – YUSSSS cake.

summer005

11:30AM – Can we stay at the cafe a little longer?

11:40AM – We’ll go in 10 minutes.

11:50AM – Oh better try attempt to get back now.

12:00PM – I HATE HILLS.

12:15PM  – Another hill! Are you kidding me?

12:30PM – YAY A FLAT BIT.

12:50PM – Sooooo many people are over taking me… oops.

1PM – Oh wait, ONE more hill.

1:15PM – Oh yeah it’s all down hill from here. Woohoo!

1:30PM – Why are the traffic lights always on red?

1:45PM – Come on let’s get faster!

1:50PM – Nearly home oh yeahhhh.

2:00PM – I LOVE CYCLING.

2:15PM – Ok I need a nap.

Any of this sound similar? 🙂

P&P_signature

Comments

1. May 19, 2016 / 2:55 pm

I’ve definitely been here yeah! Pretty soon though you’ll learn to love those hills, each one just means you can eat a bit more cake

• May 19, 2016 / 3:55 pm

Honestly, I know people who only pick races based on the food they can eat along the way and after lol

2. May 22, 2016 / 10:20 am

Haha my main thought for the past few months have been ‘how can my bum hurt so freaking much?!’ Thankfully I seem to have broken it in now! Now it’s more of a ‘who knew cycling required shoulder muscles’, ‘oh wow, my bar tape is disgustingly slippery, what’s wrong with me’ and ‘why are there so many flies and why do they all want to be in my mouth?!?’ Xx

• May 22, 2016 / 7:44 pm

It is amazing how many muscles you realise you never had, and how you use them for cycling!

• May 22, 2016 / 8:25 pm

My transition from a hybrid to a road bike was a steep learning curve in how little upper body and core strength I had!

3. May 26, 2016 / 12:04 pm

Haha great post! WHEN’S CAKE! This is always my top priority! That and then the nap!! x

4. June 25, 2016 / 7:05 pm

Yes, its amazing how much easier the ride is, when the there is a cake stop planned, infact most of my cycle routes are planned around the best cafes for cake.

5. missjones023
    July 21, 2016 / 11:53 am

Sums it up nicely! It’s taken a long time for me to get used to road cycling, there’s been alot of physical and emotional ups and downs but I’m there now – group rides and charity rides really helped with my confidence. I’ve enjoyed reading this blog! 🙂